What is a Blue Zone, you ask?
It sounds like something from out of space, right? In reality, a Blue Zone according to Bluezones.com, “Dan Buettner, Blue Zones founder, is a National Geographic Fellow who discovered five places in the world where people live the longest and are healthiest: Okinawa, Japan; Sardinia, Italy; Ikaria, Greece; Loma Linda, California, and Nicoya in Costa Rica”.
Nicoya is located in Costa Rica’s Pacific Coast. It is hot, flat and evergreen, and it has one of the world’s lowest mortality rates and second highest concentration of centenarians. How come? According to Bluezones’ Power 9 assumptions, people who live in Nicoya have a purpose in life, move constantly, eat smaller meals in the evening and a whole lot of plant-based foods and grains, put their family first and are surrounded by loving people.
How to live like a Blue Zone centenarian
So here we thought we bring a little Bluezone vibe to you, through one of our brands: Blue Zone Nicoya. A brand that makes its products with ingredients grown in Costa Rica’s own Blue Zone, Nicoya, where it provides jobs and ecological protection for the area. You can find Blue zone’s products here.
Blue Corn Flour is made with well, blue corn: a corn variety grown by native Americans which is high in protein and less starchy than white corn (great for people watching their glycemic levels). Our banana bread recipe was provided by Blue Zone. You can watch a quick video of how to make it here.
Non-stick spray oil
1 1/2 cups Blue Zone Purple Corn
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of sour cream, Greek yogurt or any yogurt of your preference
1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
4 large or 5 medium bananas very ripe and pureed (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup of chopped walnut
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F.
- Grease 8.5” X 4.5” baking sheet or Pyrex.
- Stir the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl
- Using the mixer on medium-high speed, beat the sugar, vanilla, sour cream and butter until creamy (approximately 4min). Add one egg at a time, mix each one well before adding the other.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, add mixture of flour and stir until just combined. Add banana puree and mix well. (Add optional ingredients, incorporate with wrapping motion). Pour the mixture into the pan or Pyrex
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes. Use a toothpick to test texture, once it comes out clean from the center means it is ready.
- Let the bread cool for an hour before serving.
You will notice that this banana bread looks darker in color than your regular white flour banana bread and that is because of the blue corn flour, of course. So yes, it is darker looking, healthier, yummier and who knows, maybe by eating one slice per day, you may live as long as Costa Rica’s centenarians.
For more recipes, stay posted for our next blog release. For questions and inquiries, you may write to email@example.com.